Stadia is Google’s game streaming service that was originally announced back in 2018. The gaming service was officially revealed on 6th June at Stadia Connect conference where details regarding the service were announced. Essentially, the service is capable of streaming video games at 4K/60 fps with support for high dynamic range. The service will be usable via Chromecast. However, the service is still 4 months away from launch and the questions regarding it keep on coming. Now, Google has released Google Stadia FAQs that answer many of our questions.
Google Stadia is essentially similar to past game streaming services such as Online, PlayStation Now and Gaikai in that it lets you play games on your computer without the need for specialized gaming hardware. The idea is not new by any means, however, the implementation is what would set it apart. Google is promising a smooth and uninterrupted gaming experience as long as you have an Internet connection fast enough to match the requirements.
Google Stadia FAQs: Supported Phones, Controllers, Chromecast and Game Support
While there are many questions that are answered in the FAQs the most interesting one to me is that the service will only be playable on Google Pixel 3a and tablets with ChromeOS as far as Mobile platforms are concerned. Moreover, it appears that users will not be able to use a controller of their choice when they are playing the service on their TVs, however, on mobile/tablet a regular HID compliant controller such as the Xbox One controller can be used.
You can read the full FAQs below.
- What is Stadia?
Stadia is Google’s new cloud-based gaming platform that allows you to play your favorite hit video games across screens instantly.
- What is Stadia Controller?
Google’s controller for Stadia.
- What colors are available?
Night Blue is included in the Founder’s Edition. Other colors include Wasabi (Not available in Canada or Nordics), Clearly White, and Just Black.
- What was Project Stream?
Project Stream was a test of our capabilities to stream the highest quality video games. We partnered with Ubisoft to stream Assassin’s Creed Odyssey within a Chrome browser.
- I’m a game publisher. Who can I reach out to about getting my Game on Stadia or for more information on the platform itself?
To learn more about developing and publishing games for Stadia, head on over to stadia.dev.
- Is there a way I can check the status of my game developer application?
We’re prioritizing a great developer experience for each team that gets access to Stadia development resources, which means we’ll be letting studios in slowly thru launch. We’ll ramp up access throughout 2020 and beyond as we continue to expand our developer support infrastructure. We’ll be providing broad updates on Stadia via e-mail over the coming months to all verified game developers who have applied. We’ll also be providing updates via our blog as Stadia develops as a platform. Stay tuned for more.
- Can my email address associated with Stadia be changed? If I change the e-mail address after I start playing, will my games/content be migrated over the new account?
No, you will not be able to change the email address and Google account associated with your Stadia profile.
- I am a Founder and have redeemed my code to access and create an account on Stadia. Is there a limit on how many compatible devices I can use?
You can play on any compatible device, but you can only have one session active at a time across all your devices.
- When will multiplayer gaming be available?
Stadia will have multiplayer games at launch in November. Please see the full game list for available titles.
- Will we be able to change the language of the Stadia Platform? What about the game we’re playing?
For the web and cast (living room) experiences, the language will be the same as your Google account language settings. For mobile experiences, the language will reflect that of the OS on your phone.
- How will Stadia Pro work for a family? Can I share it or not? (i.e. Family Sharing)
Stay tuned for more details on upcoming Stadia features.
- Can I access Stadia in any of the 14 countries that are being supported at launch or will Stadia be region-locked?
Stadia will be launching in 14 countries in November. Games purchased on Stadia will be playable in all 14 launch countries regardless of where they were purchased.
- If I buy Stadia in a supported country, can it be used in a non-supported country with just performance issues?
No, Stadia will only work when played from the countries currently targeted for launch in November. Stay tuned for our next batch of countries where we’ll launch.
- Which Chromecast devices are compatible with Stadia?
For launch in November, only the Google Chromecast Ultra will be compatible with Stadia, and you will also need a Stadia Controller and access to Stadia to play with Chromecast. Access to Stadia in November is only available through the Founder’s Edition or through a Stadia Buddy Pass. Stay tuned for future announcements regarding additional device compatibility.
- If I return my Stadia Controller or Chromecast Ultra, will my subscription be cancelled? Will I be refunded for the subscription?
Yes, if you return all of the contents of the Founder’s Edition (i.e. the Stadia Controller and Chromecast Ultra). You will also lose access to your three-month subscription free-trial and all games claimed while a subscriber, as well as: If you have not yet redeemed your access code for Stadia at the time of return, we will void your access code. Additionally, the Buddy Pass 3 month subscription (if not yet sent) will be voided, the Founder Stadia Name will revert to a standard Stadia Name, and the Founder’s Badge will be removed.
- How much does it cost?
For details please check out the Stadia page on the Google Store. Note that purchasing an individual controller does not entitle you to Stadia access. To access Stadia in 2019, you’ll need to purchase Stadia Founder’s Edition.
- What’s the minimum Internet speed/bandwidth that’s needed to use Stadia?
We recommend an internet speed of at least 10 mbps for a 720p experience on Stadia. Faster connections can experience up to 4k streaming, dependent on connection speed.
- What are the benefits of having your platform?
There are plenty of benefits including instant access to games on virtually any screen. Also, you’ll never have to wait for a download patch or platform update.
- Will I lose my game progress if my Internet connection dips or if I get throttled?
If you happen to lose connection, Stadia will maintain the game where it got cut off for several minutes so that you can quickly get back online without losing progress. Also, if the bandwidth fluctuates, Stadia will adjust to deliver the best possible visual quality at all times.
- I’m located in Hawaii/Alaska/Puerto Rico/US Virgin Islands, and I heard that people in Hawaii were not able to access Project Stream even though it was announced for the US. Will this be the case for Stadia?
While we will not be able to deliver Stadia to everyone on the planet, we’ve made infrastructure investments to ensure that we have data centers close to as many users as possible. At this time, Hawaii, Guam, and the US Virgin Islands are NOT supported on Stadia. Puerto Rico and Alaska are supported.
- Will Stadia work on any Android phone?
At launch, if you’re a Stadia user, you can play Stadia exclusively on Pixel 3 and 3a devices. However, you’ll be able to create your account and make subscription and game purchases from any Android M+ or iOS 11+ device that has access to the Stadia app.
- Are you planning on having First Party content?
Yes! We announced our studio Stadia Games and Entertainment. More info on the studio will be made available soon.
- Will there be multiplayer content on the platform?
Yes, there will be multiplayer content and we are working with more publishers and developers every day to bring the best games to Stadia. Please stay tuned for more details.
- Are you going to have cross-platform play?
We’re committed to developing an accessible and welcoming environment for all gamers and plan on working with top-tier devs, which include those who want to enable cross-platform play.
- Which mobile devices (tablets and phones) will support Stadia at launch?
At launch we will be supporting Pixel 3 and 3a devices (3a, 3a XL, 3, 3XL) phones for mobile gameplay, more devices will be made available in the future. However purchasing games and managing your content can be done from any iOS 11+ or Android M+ device that can run the Stadia app.
- What is the quality Stadia will stream content at?
Stadia will be able to stream games up to 4K HDR and 60 FPS quality for Stadia Pro subscribers. Non-subscribers can stream games up to 1080p and 60 FPS. Like any other Internet streaming experience, higher quality connections will result in the best experience.
- What’s Crowd Play?
Crowd Play is part of the vision for Stadia that we announced at GDC 2019, that allows viewers of a live stream to join in the game, directly with the stream creator; stay tuned for more details about these features and launch dates.
- Which Chromecast devices will be compatible with Stadia?
At launch Stadia will be sold as a Founder’s Edition with Chromecast Ultra, which enables up to 4k streaming for Stadia Pro subscribers.
- Do I need to use your Controller? (Stadia Controller)
No, you can use many popular HID compliant controllers when playing via USB cable on Chrome or mobile. To play on your TV you will need to use the Stadia Controller and Google Chromecast Ultra.
- Is my Founder’s Edition purchase tied to the Google account that I used at time of purchase or can I switch accounts later?
You can use any personal Google Account when you sign up for Stadia. We’ll send your redemption code to the email address associated at the time of purchase. You can then use a different email account when redeeming your Stadia redemption code.
- What happens if I stop my Stadia Pro subscription for some months – will I see my saved progress if I rejoin later on?
If you stop your Stadia Pro subscription, when you rejoin Stadia Pro you may retain the progress you made in previously-unlocked Stadia Pro subscription games and in add-ons you previously unlocked or purchased. Additionally, you may make individual game purchases and resume progress if you previously decided to stop your Stadia Pro subscription.
- How many players can play on a Stadia game?
The number is dependent on the game you’re playing. Stadia will support full multiplayer titles, as well as couch based co-op and single player titles.
- What happens to a game I bought if the publisher stops supporting Stadia in the future? Can I still play the game?
Yes. Once you purchase the game, you own the right to play it. In the future, it is possible that some games may no longer be available for new purchases, but existing players will still be able to play the game. Outside of unforeseen circumstances, Stadia will aim to keep any previously purchased title available for gameplay.
- Can the Stadia Controller be used on other platforms?
We’ve designed the Stadia Controller to work best on Stadia. When plugged in via USB cable, the Stadia Controller acts as a standard USB HID controller and may work on other platforms depending on the game and setup.
- How many controllers can I use at the same time?
Your Stadia account will support up to four Stadia controllers during local multiplayer game play.
- Will Stadia be compatible with Daydream or other VR headsets?
At this time, we have no news to share regarding VR support on Stadia.
- Will the Stadia Controller only connect via Bluetooth to phones and tablets or can you also connect via USB-C?
The Stadia Controller uses BLE for setup and then connects via Wi-Fi for gameplay. You can also connect your Stadia Controller to your phone, tablet, or computer with a USB cable plugged into the Stadia Controller’s USB-C port.
- Which mobile devices (tablets and phones) will support Stadia at launch?
At launch we will be supporting Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a (3a, 3a XL, 3, 3XL) phones for mobile gameplay, tablets running Chrome OS, and more devices will be made available in the future. However, purchasing games and managing your content can be done from any iOS 11+ or Android M+ device that can run the Stadia app.
- How much does it cost?
For details please check out the Stadia page on the Google Store.
let me know in the comments what you think regarding the upcoming game streaming service, are you sold on the idea or are you still undecided?