Yes the tech giant has done it again. It has surpassed all its previous downloads. Google Maps for Android has exceeding a total of 1 billion downloads. Google Maps is the second app that has been successful to do so. The first one was Gmail, which joined the over-billion downloads list about a month ago. Or rather it should be said that Gmail founded the list. It was the first list to do so.
The Google Maps has been one of the most successful apps that have reached the Play Store. If anyone of you still does not know what Google Maps is, and if you are an Android user, you can download the app from here. What is Google Maps, it is an app that has:
- Comprehensive, accurate maps in 220 countries and territories
- Voice-guided GPS navigation for driving, cycling and walking
- Public transport directions and maps for over 15,000 towns and cities
- Live traffic conditions, incident reports and automatic rerouting to find the best route
- Detailed information on more than 100 million places
- Street View and indoor imagery for restaurants, museums and more
And many other features that are disclosed when you use the application yourself.
Note that downloads represent unique accounts that have downloaded the app. Which means that multiple downloads from one account is still counted as one. The 1 billion mark shows that the app has been downloaded by every 7th person of the world (considering each download as a distinct human).
The next potential app to add to the list is YouTube. But the rate of downloads of YouTube may reduce due the fact of it being ban in some countries. Pakistan being the top of the list. But we’ll just have to wait to see how much does it take.
It’s on Google Developer I/O on June 25th to finally reveal if Google has been planning something new for Google Maps.