At Microsoft Build Conference yesterday both Windows 8.1 update and Windows Phone 8.1 were announced. Microsoft is planning to update its popular Skype app as well for both Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1.
Skype for Windows Phone 8.1 is bringing system wide support in this way you will be able to upgrade to Skype video call straight from your voice call screen. It will be integrated within the People hub. In this way you will be able to make HD video calls straight from your contact list. Skype will be integrated to Microsoft personal voice assistance Cortana as well. You have to say the name of person as, “Skype, call John Smith” and Cortana will do the rest for you. “We’ll also be bringing Windows Phone 8.1 customers the great Skype features they have come to know and love on their other Windows Phone devices, including:
- Being always on to help you stay connected with the people who matter most, giving you real time notifications and updates on the Live Tile
- People hub, allowing you to video call those closest to you directly through your contacts
- Video Instant Messaging, letting you stay in contacts with the people you care about most, even when they’re offline
- HD 720p video calling
- Navigation through the app using the beautiful modern user interface
- The things you love most on Skype for Windows Phone: video calling, instant messaging and audio calling.
Microsoft also announced Windows 8.1 yesterday with the ability to pin modern style Metro apps in the taskbar. As the update is designed specifically for Desktop and mouse so you’ll be able to pin Skype to the taskbar. You can then use it as if it was a classic Skype Desktop app. New Skype will be pre-installed in Windows 8.1 update.
Source: Skype Blog